Friday, June 02, 2006

My Wife's Murder (Hindi)



IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451824/

'Jab loha garam hai, toh maar do hathoda'
What can be better than a movie review as soon as you're done with the movie?!

End credits running up in my TV here, and I'm sitting down to write about a movie which I feel did not get its due credit. A realistic, no-nonsense effort by 'The Factory' and one of the most sincere efforts by a lead Actor in Bollywood that I've observed in recent times.

RGV and thrillers, need not beat the bush here. No introductions needed about how well he works with this genre. Although there have been some forgettables and take my word for it, you'll come out thinking this is not one.

Ravi Patwardhan, played or rather very well under-played by Anil Kapoor, is a film editor with problems in his married life. His wife Sheela, played effectively by Suchitra Krishnamurthy, suspects that Ravi has something going on with his assistant Reena. Reena's role is played by Nandana Sen who looks pretty but in my opinion fails to deliver the goods, mainly due to her accent. (Why O whyyyy does RGV have this craving for regional actors speaking on their own??? What happened to that age old practice called Dubbing...I mean creativity is one thing, but distracting the audience with 'supposed-to-be-creativity' is not done. Eg: Mohan lal in Company ..hee hee. It's not as bad as that here)

In the first few minutes of the movie, the director establishes the main plot which is the murder, starting with subtle hints like Ravi editing a murder movie, and such..soon sheela is shown as an over suspiscious wife who is finicky about everything the husband does. Soon there are significant altercations and Ravi becomes cause for his Wife's murder!!!
Well NO this is not a spoiler, what were you expecting with a name like 'My Wife's murder'?
It's the skill with which RGV's team (director Jijy Philip and writer Atul Sabharwal) and Anil carry the rest of the movie ahead, that's noteworthy. I did not find too many spots where the audience is lost.

I think Anil deserves 10 on 10 for his performance. If you notice, Anil has a lot of his trademark mannerisms over the years (Tezaab, Mr. India, Raam Lakhan, Beta, Taal etc etc) that invariably gets into every performance of his, be it his dancing, his emoting, his happy moments - every aspect of his acting. Lately he has been *trying* to experiment with his acting and has been successful to a certain extent. I really loved him in 'Nayak:The Real Hero' although there were several of his cliched acting moments. You can almost mimic his acting.



NOT HERE - OH my god does he pull off a wonderful role? The way he underplays Ravi Patwardhan - somebody who is sincere but at the same time deceitful, one who doesn't let the audience see through him - is commendable.

Is this a remake of a Malayalam movie? I remember hearing that somewhere, if yes please let me know. Strangely Anil seems to pull off some remakes well (Virasat, Nayak) He does full justice to the ending, and I'm curious to see the original.

Now did you think 'Alright here is a blog of a desi guy who's gone weird he is hung up on Hollywood movies....shucks what a waste of such good talent' ;-) Nope ...it's just that I hadn't seen a Bollywood movie from some time (and certainly not any that made an impact on me) so I hadn't written.

In other cast, Boman Irani does really well..he seems so comfortable in the role of the cocky suspicious Inspector. I think RGV gang feels like 'choDna mat!!! pakde rehna!!!!' towards highly talented actors like Boman.
What else? Oh yea no songs ..so all the more effective.
Go watch it friend, unless you want me to be the cause of 'My Friends murder'!!!!

Naaaaahhhhhhh :-)

2 comments:

Sudhi said...

I happened to watch this movie on my local cable TV recently. The movie was really brilliant. Anil kapoor as the protagonist was extraordinary in that role. Thanx for the interesting review. I like reading the reviews after watching the movie and I found that the most appropriate review was yours.

Madhu said...

Sudhi

Thanks for the highly encouraging comments!
Keep reading as I keep adding more reviews...coming up 'Being Cyrus'.